Sunday, December 14, 2008

Emmanuel

Since two days before Thanksgiving, God has placed so many hurting, lonely people in my path. I've talked with a sweet young lady who is trying her hardest to overcome a tainted past. Our family has befriended and helped a young man recently released from prison who longs for companionship and friendship. A good friend related to me last week the financial crisis that she and her family have found themselves in. Another sweet friend is struggling through major health problems, an ailing mother, and a general feeling of despair. We have begun ministering to a family in the community surrounding our church where three children, three adults, and five dogs live in a fifth-wheel trailer. A dear, sweet young man that we are friends with is faced this December with what should have been his second wedding anniversary but is instead the first anniversary of the day his wife walked out of their marriage.

It seems that each direction I turn I see pain and hopelessness. At one time, the entire Christmas season brought me sadness and loneliness, but God has shown me that in Him I can have joy. And besides giving me what my heart desired most--a baby--He has shown me that the greatest gift He gave was His son.

This past week's Bible lesson in my classroom happened to be that Christ was human. What a great time of year to talk about the humanity of Jesus! He was completely God, and He was totally human at the same time. He cried like any other baby. He had to be fed like any other baby. He laughed and cooed just like any other baby. Yet He was God become flesh. God walking among the people. God with us. Emmanuel.

In the past couple of years, God has shown me more and more what Emmanuel really means. It's God with people! It's God loving the creation made in His image enough to come and live among them. It's the creator of the universe humbling himself to bring hope to a lost and dying world.

In a time when so many feel lonely, depressed, neglected, unloved, forgotten, and miserable we have the hope of Emmanuel. God is with us! God is with you.

2 comments:

mheuermann said...

Preach on, sista!

Dale said...

Thank you for reminding me that He is with me...today...right now...in everything.