Saturday, January 31, 2009

Conversations

Conversation #1:
Last Sunday night we got home from church in time to watch the very end of Extreme Makeover Home Edition. As far as I know, we have never sat down as a family and watched this show. It's a great show, but we are just not usually at home on Sunday evenings to watch it. So Sunday night was the first time that I know Em has seen it.

Many of you know that we went on a mission trip to Amarillo last summer, and Em went with us and talks about going back ALL the time. Her latest musing about Amarillo went like this. "Maybe we can go back to Amarillo this summer and we can build somebody's house back that got destroyed from the hurricane and we can say, 'Move that bus!' "

She may not have all of the geography of hurricane tracking figured out, but I think there's something deeper there than that!

Conversation #2:
Em and I stayed home from school on Wednesday.

The original "day at home" was planned on Tuesday afternoon when I picked her up from school and she had a fever. After some cuddling and hugging and feeling her forehead repeatedly, we went to my classroom to make preparations for a sub the next day. Overnight, the cough and tight chest I'd been trying to ignore would not take, "No, you will not cause me illness" for an answer! I ended up at the doctor's office with my perfectly well four year old sidekick. Not sure what was up with the fever the day before!

On our way out the door, juggling the six Littlest Pet Shop animals she had chosen to take to the doctor's office in a much-too-tiny basket, Em said, "Mom, I probably should have chosen a different basket. These animals keep falling out!"

Conversation #3:
Then as we left the doctor's office, an hour or so later, we watched the bright yellow medical transport helicopter land at the Conroe hospital. After I explained that they were landing on the roof so that they could bring someone to the hospital or take someone to another hospital, Em again quipped with four year old certainty, "They probably are going to need a door up there on the roof."

I was amazed at the intelligence and clarity of our conversations the entire day. Wow my baby is growing up! I enjoy talking with her and seeing her mind wonder about the hows and whys of things.

Conversation #4:
Just a little bit ago, Em wanted an apple. As I peeled and sliced it for her, I became aware of her staring at me. I looked down at her and noticed she was tapping her foot also. Because she's usually singing or dancing or making up a new song, I said, "Are you keeping the beat?" She quickly replied, "No, that's what you do when you're waiting."

Conversation #5:
I love the group Watermark. I have their CD "A Grateful People" in my car and loaded on my iPod. I listen to it all the time. You may have heard one or two of their songs on my playlist on this blog. One of the songs that I have on the playlist is actually two songs put together, "Who Am I?" and "Grace Flows Down." I LOVE this song!

The words say:
Over time You've healed so much in me and I am living proof.
That although my darkest hour had come, Your light could still shine through.
And though at times it's just enough to cast a shadow on the wall,
I am grateful that You shine Your light on me at all.

Well, amazing grace how sweet the sound that saved a wretch like me.
I once was lost but now I'm found, was blind but now I see.
And the more I sing that sweet old song, the more I understand
That I do not comprehend this love that's coming from Your hand.

Who am I that You would love me so gently?
Who am I that you would recognize my name?
Lord who am I that You would speak to me so softly?
Conversations with the love most high who am I?

What amazing words! The more I know, the more I see the enormity of what I haven't yet figured out--with my own life, with my daughter's life, with the amazing, wonderful life that Christ gives!

No comments: